Friday, August 8, 2008

Clowning Around

I woke up this morning looking forward to a change from the usual vaginal swabbing. I was ready to get back to my laboratory/basic science roots. While the STI clinic and working with the Dr. Bien-Amie has been very educational, as much as you could imagine a sexually transmitted infectious disease clinic could be, I gave up the opportunity to prepare samples of abnormal secretions from down below to analyzing what was in them.

Arriving as usual at GHESKIO, via a SUV full of several young researchers and drivers, I bypassed groups of Haitians waiting outside the STI clinic for an appointment and
/or to receive bags of rice and other indispensable food items, to walk towards the STI lab. All I knew though was, from the directions that I gave my patients from the STI clinic, that it was "behind the office, and to the right." When I used my own directions, however, I got lost and walked into the wrong area. As usual, I was greeted with a "Bonjou" from several Haitians, accompanied by confused looks why this "blan" (white person), was standing in their midst. In my best Kreyol, I explained who I was and was led to the right place by a very pleasant woman. 

Entering the lab, I felt at home, looking at the microscopes, refrigerator/freezers, and computers, I was greeted by Joseway, the leader of the laboratory. Over the next minutes he got me acquainted with the inner workings of the lab and showed me how to do Gram stains on the swab samples that came in to the lab. Now, this I could handle. In fact, after relearning how to process the specimens, I set adrift on memory bliss... just for a few moments. I thought back to the microbiology labs that we had during my second year of medical school and all the crazy fun we had at our table doing the very same procedure that I was now performing in a clinic in Haiti. The personalities and background of the persons around our table at Vanderbilt contrasted drastically with those whom I was working at that moment, however the reagents were the same. Amazing how standardized science can be, luckily people are not the same way.

Around Noon after some serious work (processing samples and giving results of HIV/RPR tests to patients through the metal bars that cover the window between the lab and the corridor) and not-so-serious work (clowning around with the other lab folks), I heard some rhythmic whistles and clapping from outside the lab. I asked Joseway (in Kreyol, of course) what was going on. Taking a break, we headed to the courtyard outside the lab. To my surprise, there was a group of 5 clowns and an audience of 50-60 adults and children gathered
 on the grass to watch the quarterly performance of "Clowns Without Borders," an amazing silly counterpart to "Doctors Without Borders (MSF)." Their ability to entertain the diverse crowd of researchers, patients young and old, and GHESKIO support staff was amazing. Some clowns played instruments (keyboard, tuba, and soprano saxophone!) while the other clowns performed. They all played to the crowd, often involving the audience... and even a certain medical student.... of course. I swear I'm a target :)


Standing on the sideline and clapping 
along, I saw one of the performers look my way prior to the grand finale. During the final skit, the classic "tuck-a-handkerchief-in-my-hand-and-it-disappears-only-to-reappear-in-your-hand" trick, he came over and took me from the audience. Placing me centerstage, they stood around me looking in the pockets of my white med student coat for the handkerchief that they recently made disappear. Then, they tucked a big blue handkerchief down my pants (hot I know.) After counting un.... de....twa... they pulled the cloth from my pants. Attached between the two blue handkerchiefs was a big pair of striped briefs.... "mine." It was SO funny, and the crowd loved it. Then... I went to lunch.


At night, we were going dancing (but not Laura, she has been feeling ill with a head "virus"). In fact, I wasn't really feeling to too much, because it was going to be a busy weekend with art shopping and a pool party on Saturday and pool party/research meetings/dinner with our mentors from Cornell on Sunday. But, as my friends know, I'm a push-over when it comes to dancing and I got dressed to go. 


Danny, one of our Haitian friends who is notorious for wanting to go out dancing, etc. came to pick us up and we headed to Presse Kafe, the same venue we went to earlier in the week to see ASAKIVLE perform. Tonight, it was live Kompa, not like TVICE... more classy. Someone remarked that Fridays at Presse was a place their parents would hang out, but we seemed to fit in quite nicely... I guess because we be so classy like dat. With Rebecca's help, I learned to Kompa and even got the gumption to ask a cutie by the bar to dance (in Kreyol). Well, to be more precise I asked the whole family. See, she was on vacation with her family and I didn't notice her oh, mother, father, sister, uncle, etc. standing right next to her. They told me in Spanish, that if I wanted to dance with her, that I would have to ask them first (I know that Hispanic families are close, but this was ridiculous) Well, I asked and we danced. 

Erin expressed her interest in "booty-shaking" and so we were off...the next stop was a place I've never been before, so I'm not sure the name, but it'll be a place I go again. It had a cabana-like atmosphere, not like Cabana in Nashville, like a real cabana with real palm trees in an open air setting, a big thatched hut for dancing, and a big long bar. What started off as Salsa music turned to TOP40 and "booty-shaking" music with Sean Paul and the like. (Nizar, I borrowed your dance, just for a bit). For more pics, visit here. At 230am, we peaced out of the bar/club, headed to our cars and as usual when walking to/from the car, were harassed by locals trying to open our car doors for us and asking for money. 

No comments: